Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ricketts Glen State Park, PA


I'm not quite sure what to say about Ricketts Glen State Park, I'm still speechless from the experience. By far my favorite hike, the 7.2 mile, difficult Falls Trails leads hikers past 21 waterfalls ranging in height from 11-feet to 94-feet, all are amazing in their own way.
If you park in the trailhead parking on Rt.118, called the Evergreen Trail Lot, the entrance to the Falls Trail is directly across the road. For an added bonus, another waterfall, the 36' Adams, is located at the end of this parking area.
Ricketts Glen Natural Area is a National Natural Landmark comprised of 13,050 acres in Luzerne, Sullivan, and Columbia counties.
Bring lunch, a good camera, and sturdy boots (the trails get very wet and slippery). The hike itself is very challenging, but I didn't fall once, so that's a good sign!
For more info, visit:
http://www.visitpaparks.com/

5 comments:

Fred Theilig said...

Beautiful. Reminds me of the water falls on Franconia Ridge, NH. What does L&O stand for?

Anonymous said...

Hi Fred:
I'm L&O, which stands for Law and Order....Maybe I'll see you on the trail some day....
Maria
Northeast Hiking's Hiking Partner

Northeast Hiking said...

Welcome Fred!
Actually, the entire loop reminded me of the White Mountains in NH. I'd like to drag L&O up there someday, it's really a beautiful area.

Northeast Hiking said...

Hey Fred, I LOVE your blog! Very nice! I'm sure I'll be referencing it when I head up to Rhode Island to hike. I actually use to live on the MA-RI border, nice area.

Fred Theilig said...

Thanks. There are some nice hikes, but nothing like the spectacular hikes in northern New England and New York. My first hike (real hike) was in the Adirondacks near Old Forge. Tomorrow is my next hike.