Sunday, December 9, 2007

Doodletown

Although the weather was uncertain today, I ventured out with my partners in crime, Tool and Law and Order. The weather was not that bad, a little on the cold side, but at least the rain held out. Because there was no plan, I didn't have my hiking boots, my pack, or my lucky hat (perfect setting for a disaster).

We poked around for a while on Iona Island. First we walked the road down to the eagle sanctuary, but of course, it was closed. Then we searched high and low for trouble but couldn't find any (I couldn't even get Law & Order to press her head onto the train track to feel if a train was coming). On the way back, we couldn't resist climbing a rock structure, but all we found was a lot of leaves and moss (my arch-enemy!).

Right before getting back into the car, I heard the sound of running water. As my faithful sidekicks stayed in the car (they're not crazy), I followed the sound. Low and behold, at the side of 9W, next to the Bear Mountain access road, was a small waterfall. Luring my friends back out of the car (thankfully it didn't take much because I didn't have my pack, hence no turkey jerky to use as bait), we followed the trail next to the falls and found Doodletown.

For those who are unfamiliar with Doodletown, it is the ruin of a once standing town. It was the last piece of land acquired by the Palisades Interstate Park Commission as it formed Harriman State Park and Bear Mountain State Park. One by one, the Commission offered the families dwelling on the land fair market value for their homes if they agreed to sell and move. In 1965, the town's 200 year existence ceased as the final property was purchased.

Because of the time, we did not venture far. We followed the blue-blazed trail to the right which brought us to an inclined path leading past the foundations of former homes. Through the trees we spied a larger waterfall and headed back down the path out to 9W and crossed the brook. We hiked up a trail on the left side of the brook this time, up to a colorfully painted "Peace" rock. Here we paused for a picture opportunity (Well, I didn't, unprepared with no camera. Also, unlike everyone else in America, I do not own a camera phone). After, we turned around and headed home.

What we didn't know is that if we had continued along the original path (blue-blazed trail), we would have hiked to the old Doodletown Mines, crossed the 1777 Trail and passed the Edison Mine (yep, owned by Thomas A. Edison and used for his experimental magnetic ore separation technique).

Oh, well, it will keep for another day. Next time, I will be prepared and take some pictures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hike the blue trail. Definitely want to check out the Edison Mine.....

Anonymous said...

I'm in, too. I'll bring my "real" camera. And I just ordered new hiking boots. Waterproof. Hot.

Northeast Hiking said...

If only the weather would give us a break...

Anonymous said...

Let's Go!!!!!! I am having withdrawals.....Let's hit the trail!