Saturday, March 28, 2009

Guest Post: Jackie Jones Mtn Fire Tower


Another fine guest post by L&O.....

Thanks again L&O! You're the best!

Big Hill Shelter & Jackie Jones Mountain Fire Tower
NYNJ Trail Conference Map 118-Harriman Park-Southern
I began my trek by parking on a turnoff near St. Johns in the Wilderness Church located on Johnsontown Road, Harriman State Park. I found my way to the aqua-blazed Long Path and trudged along through beautiful valleys and hemlock groves. I spotted a few white-tailed deer as I crossed Beaver Brook Pond and continued gradually upward along the Long Path. As the path ascends, don't forget to look behind you, for you will be rewarded with intermittent views of the Hudson River. Cross over Old Turnpike Road (really a woods road) and continue along the Long Path. Shortly, you will arrive at Big Hill Shelter and its amazing views. Big Hill Shelter, built in 1927, has three stone fireplaces. Raymond Torrey scouted the Big Hill Shelter site in March of 1927. The shelter was empty when I arrived, so I sat inside and enjoyed the views from it. I headed north and began following the yellow-blazed Suffern-Bear Mountain trail. The trail steadily ascends as the Long Path veers off to the right. Continue on the Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail until it reaches the Jackie Jones Mountain Fire Tower. Now, this was a treat! You are able to climb to the top of the tower; however, the top floor is inaccessible. Use extreme caution when climbing the tower stairs, as some are a bit loose and beginning to rot. The view from the top was incredible, even on an overcast day. If you look to the north, you will see Lake Welch and an enormous AT&T microwave tower, built in 1947; to the west is the Hudson River. The fire tower is a steel tower erected in 1928, but it is no longer in operation. I chose to begin a little bushwhacking after the fire tower to get back to Route 106 and my vehicle, however, if you follow the Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail from the fire tower you will reach the ruins of ORAK, which are a must see!

4 comments:

tool said...

I worry about you hiking alone. Hope you were armed...with your gorillapod, of course...

Daisypicker5 said...

Great site!!! I really need to do more outdoor stuff. I actually went hiking in the south of France near Biarritz, and when I was driving to the mountain my tire went flat and I had no idea how to change it. A helpful stranger gave me a hand but I think everyone should know how to change a tire especially if you are going on a long trip somewhere. I found this video a couple of months ago that explains how to change a tire but I wish I had had watched before http://www.howcast.com/videos/114840-How-To-Change-a-Flat-Tire

Shaun McGowan said...

hiking alone is dangerous!Be careful!

Patrick Fitzgibbon said...

I hope you keep safe. Lots of things can go wrong but never forget to have fun at all times.